Monday, November 7, 2011

You Are What You Learn


"You are what you learn. If all you know is how to be a gang member, that's what you'll be, at least until you learn something else. If you go to law school, you'll see the world as a competition. If you study engineering, you'll start to see the world as a complicated machine that needs tweaking. A person changes at a fundamental level as he or she merges with a particular field of knowledge. If you don’t like who you are, you have the option of learning until you become someone else. There's almost nothing you can't learn your way out of. Life is like a jail with an unlocked, heavy door. You're free the minute you realize the door will open if you simply lean into it."
- Scott Adams in Dilbert.com

Learning something new is often a challenging ordeal filled with ups and downs. It's a scary place at first as we try to find comfort in our training wheels. It's exciting when we figure out we have the hang of it, and then feel proud once we master our chosen field. But what truly happens as we learn is the unlearning, the letting go of the past in order to grasp the future. In the unconscious space between the handle bars is where we truly develop and become someone new. I have learned my way out of irresponsibility, negative habits, and just about everything I have ever read in Cosmo as a teenage girl. Leaning in, as Scott Adams describes, to new information always exposes the old information to judgments. We are constantly evolving and reinventing ourselves by what we choose to learn, and as a result unlearn.

Henry David Thoreau once said that it is only when we forget all our learning that we begin to grow.  I hope we all learn, unlearn, and in that process get to truly know ourselves.

6 comments:

  1. I remember when my brain used to be a repository of bad ideas that I had picked up from sitcoms and TV shows. I would catch it sometimes, the scene playing in my head. I'm not sure how or exactly when I outgrew that and learned my way out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, yes this paragraph is actually nice
    and I have learned lot of things from it concerning blogging.
    thanks.
    Here is my web page ... reset windows password

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're just extremely great.
    I really like what you've acquired here, really like what you're stating and the way
    in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep
    it wise. I can't wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific website.
    Also visit my page duty free cigarettes uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I simply would like to give you a big thumbs up
    for your great information you have got here
    on this post. I will be coming back to your website for more
    soon.
    My webpage :: ship

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice respond in return of this query with solid arguments and describing the whole thing
    about that.
    Feel free to surf my page - dli.mt.gov

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing post thanks for sharing with me.
    Automatic Gate

    ReplyDelete

blog catalog

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

on top seo

Web Directory
OnToplist is optimized by SEO
Add blog to our directory.

blogfarm

The Blog Farm