Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Power of Words; Reflections on Maya Angelou's Thoughts



This video is a snippet of Maya Angelou's Master Class with Oprah Winfrey

I believe in the power of words. Words can uplift us and words can tear us apart. I remember when I first  experienced that power. As a youth I experienced the love from the words that rolled out of my mothers tongue. As an adult I experienced the pain that words like good enough, pretty enough, and thin enough evoke, not just in myself, but in countless women I encounter. Words are the internal monologue that guide our lives. The words we say to ourselves are constantly serenading our spirit, our mood, and our perspective. Repeat to yourself you are unworthy, and the words manifest themselves in your actions.  The words we use to communicate with others are powerful enough to heal someones fear. Tell a person consistently she/he is intelligent and they believe. 

Belief is a powerful thing. If we are to grow into the beautiful people we truly are, our words are to be used for healing the people around us. Words that carry love with them allow people to bloom. Words of encouragement and support are much more effective for your own healing than those based on negative and deconstructive ideas. I recently explained to my friend over lunch that we are cruel to ourselves. We are critical and we pick ourselves apart. We wouldn't allow another person to speak to us the way we speak to ourselves. Words are powerful enough that they can seep into our subconscious, as water into soil. 

Let the words you use heal. Lets use our words to improve the world. Lets use our words to build beautiful relationships. Give way to the power of words that carry love instead of fear. Let us spread good news and allow others to spread their good news freely. Don't stand idly aside listening to negative ideas, stop them. The world is not in its current state because of bad people, but because of people that allow negative ideas and actions to bloom.

"But words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling like dew, upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think. " —Lord Byron




3 comments:

  1. I really like the line: "Words are the internal monologue that guide our lives."
    Would you mind if I quote you in a speech? What would you like me to refer to you as?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can quote me as Raimi Abreu :) thanks for your thoughts and for quoeting me. What type of speech are you making?

      Delete
    2. It's a youth speech contest about "Why My Voice is Important". I'm thinking of using the concept described in the quote in saying that since it's the words that guide us, let us voice these words and guide others such that we can guide humanity forward to a better future.

      Delete

blog catalog

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

on top seo

Web Directory
OnToplist is optimized by SEO
Add blog to our directory.

blogfarm

The Blog Farm